Bootleg Biology FUNK WEAPON #2 Yeast
Availability: Limited PRE-ORDER ONLY
Source: Family-owned brewery producing Gueuze in West Flanders, Belgium.
This rare, and commercially unavailable yeast isolate is perfect for 100% Brettanomyces fermentations, especially Brett IPAs. Amplifies citrus and tropical fruit-forward hop flavors and aromas into a punchy ripeness. With extended time under CO2 pressure, pineapple and tropical fruit aromas will be more pronounced. Great for maintaining the nuance of hops in beer with better keeping qualities than a Brewer’s Yeast fermentation.
[You can’t make every style of beer with one or two strains of brewer’s yeast, so why would you only use only one or two strains for your funky beers? This is the second release in the Dusty Bottoms Collection’s ongoing Funk Weapon Series of unique, rare Brettanomyces and Brett-like wild yeast cultures.]
- Type: Yeast. Brettanomyces bruxellensis variant
- Pitching Rate: Directly pitchable into 5 gallons of 1.050 or lower wort
- Estimated Attenuation: 80%-95%
- Estimated Final pH: 3.9-4.4
- Flavor/Aroma Profile: Strong Ripe Fruit, Tropical
- Flocculation: Low to Medium
- Recommended Fermentation Temperature: Normal Ale Temperatures
* Performance information subject to change due to ongoing testing.
Product Category: Dusty Bottoms Collection™
The Dusty Bottoms Collection™ is our ode to unique and hard to find cultures sourced from commercial fermentations. As much as we love local yeast, there are just some flavors and aromas that can’t be reproduced by plucking yeast out of thin air.
Many of these cultures have been used for generations to make some of the most consistently wonderful beverages in the world. Whether it’s brewer’s yeast, Brettanomyces, or Lactobacillus…these aren’t Local Yeast by our definition, but certainly were local at one time.